your friendship with Anna Kournikova a distraction for you?
- I would never blame someone else for something.I don't
let any affect mythinking.I make my own decisions.
- You now both wear
adidas.Are you and Kournikova now matching Spice Girls?
- I don't know.I'm like Posh Spice.She picked the great soccer
player and has the baby and the career.I would like that.
- Do you ever feel
that there should be other people in your support system other
than your mother?
- Oh, there are other people.I have cousins and family.But I'm
just fine with it being mostly my mother and me.
- Have there been any misconceptions in the media that
you would like to correct?
-There are some things that they write that are not true.I
not burned out. When I read these things, I am angry at first but
then want to prove them wrong.It's the competition, the challenge
thing again.I want to show them that they are wrong and make a fool out of them.
- If you could replay one match,which match would it be?
- The French Open final against Steffi this year for sure.
- So you can't laugh about that loss yet?
- Not today.It's still in the back of my head.But not every
experience can be positive.I can learn from the negative.
- Usually, you are so in
control on court.
- There are stages in everyone's life when not everything is
under control.People my age usually are going out to big
parties and going nuts,but I have to do everything on the
television or in front of a lot of people.So I got nuts a little
on court once.So? I am not going to change who I am.I like to
have fun and be teenager.I will never change,no matter
what,because that is me.For me,it's usually been under
control.But sometimes you just have to work on things and learn
Now I have everything in control.
- Some say that you are not
the tunnel-visioned perfectionist your predeccesors-Chris
Evert,S.Graf,M.Seles-were,but your mom is.They feel that she is
the driving force behind your tennis.
- Our way was that I played the matches and my mom took care of
all the other stuff.I was happy with that and felt that I had
everything under control.But when my mom wasn't at Wimbledon,I
felt like half a player, a helf person.We just kind of complete
each other.She takes cares of her business;I take care of mine.
- Your mom is one of the
best coaches around...
- [Interrupting.] For me,she's the best coach,the best coach for
me.Nobody can tell me the things that she does.Nobody knows me
as well as she does.When I was at [Nick] Bolletieri's or even
Hopman's,there is nothing that I haven't heard before.She is a
much better coach than all of them.
- How are you more independent these days?
- I drive around and do my thing with friends.
- Did you have your
Porsches sent to Tampa from Switzerland?
- Yes,but I can't drive them yet.Pete [Sampras] trains there and
has a Porsche,but he says it is very special and won't let me
drive it.I asked him,but he said "no."